Winter in southern California is an unusual thing. The weather hasn’t been very “wintery” – in fact, we had a bit of a warm spell during the holidays, but are expecting some showers this week (woot, woot).
For the next day or two while we complain about the wet weather, I can almost guarantee that some of us will be researching soup recipes to warm us up from the inside.
Like this deliciously hearty potato, white bean and kale soup from blogger Tastes Lovely.
We love this recipe so much! Featuring seasonal ingredients, this soup is so comforting and easy to make (woot, again).
Potato, White Bean and Kale Soup
From Tastes Lovely
- 1 large yellow onion chopped medium, about 2 cups
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves finely minced, about 1.5 tablespoons
- (2) 32 ounce containers of veggie stock
- 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes chopped medium, about 4 cups
- (2) 15 ounce cans cannellini beans (also known as white kidney beans)
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 3 cups kale, ribs removed and torn into 2″ pieces
- salt & pepper
- Heat a large pot over medium heat with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Saute onions for 5-7 minutes until translucent. Add in 1.5 tablespoons minced garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Pour in vegetable stock, potatoes, cannellini beans and rosemary. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Add the kale to the soup and cook 5 more minutes. Remove from heat, salt & pepper to taste, then allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Will keep in an air-tight container in the fridge for seven days.
P.S. This soup is especially tasty with a side of your favorite vegan bread!